Holistic Education Resource Book
Peter Schreiner, Esther Banev, Simon Oxley (ed.)
Learning and Teaching in an Ecumenical Context
Münster: Waxmann-Verlag, 2005, 238 S.
A holistic approach to education can sharpen a critical view of the dominant approach to education that is only mind-centred and neglects other dimensions of the human being. This resource book includes texts, comments, and extracts about holistic education from various regions of the world, different areas of concern and many pedagogical approaches and projects. All the material contributes to a holistic approach to education where a focus on interconnectedness and educating the whole person in community is at the centre.
Different types of texts are presented, some theoretical, others practical, coming out of concrete experiences in a specific context.
Whilst a holistic perspective on reality and on education is not new, there is a new recognition of its significance at a time when the dominant world view clearly shows its limits.
The book comes out of the ecumenical movement and is one outcome of the Holistic Education Study Process of the World Council of Churches. It contributes to a dialogue between education philosophy and religious education, spiritual education and the search for peace and justice, reconciliation and healing as a yearning of all human beings.
I. Getting Started
- About this Book
- Questions and Answers
- Eight Principles of Holistic Education
- Mechanistic versus Holistic Education: A Comparison of Educational paradigms
- The WCC Study Process an Holistic Education
II. Ideas and Perspectives - Theoretical and Practical Contributions
- Contributions to Holistic Education from Different Theories (Peter Schreiner)
- Holistic Education: Sign Posts and Warnings (David Goodbourn)
- Holistic Education in a Biblical Perspective (John Sutcliffe)
- The Pursuit of Wisdom: Holistic Education in the Classical, Biblical and Patristic Tradition (Marcus Plested)
- Educating the Whole Person: an Orthodox Perspective (Jessica Rose)
- Transmission versus Transformation: Two Models of Education
- Education as Transformation
- Paulo Freire: 'Banking' Concept versus 'Liberation' Concept
- Teaching and Learning in Holistic Education
Educational Approaches with Holistic Elements
- Children's Spirituality as Relational Consciousness
- Spiritual Education
- Godly Play - An Imaginative Approach to Religious Education
- The Children and Worldviews Project (Clive Erricker)
- 'Reclaiming goodness.' Education and the Spiritual Quest
- Global Education
- Feminist Pedagogy
- Critical Pedagogy
- Teaching from the Heart
- Christian Religious Education - Education for Life
- Reggio-Pedagogy (Elsbeth and Helmuth Krieg)
- Women in Theological Education: A Reflection
III. Ideas into Action
- Case Studies in Holistic Education
- Projects with a Holistic Perspective
Preis: 24,90 € inkl. Mehrwertsteuer